& Mrs. Dennis
PROJECT LOCATION: Larchmont, NY
PROJECT DESCRIPTION (as gracefully described by the clients themselves):
We remodeled the Larchmont Kitchen after a complete demolition. This
project offers an insight into the history of the American kitchen from the
20th to 21st Centuries.
Our Larchmont project is in a 1920’s Tudor style house.
Demolition revealed the original 1920’s footprint of this kitchen. It was a
small galley, off the dining room, in the back of the house. Kitchens in the
early part of the 20th Century were utilitarian work areas.
Kitchens were meant for cooking and cleaning, and not much else. The formal
dining room was a separate universe where the dutiful housewife (or maid, if
the family was wealthy) presented the result of her labors.
Our demolition also revealed a 1950’s expansion of the
kitchen. The kitchen was doubled in size by expanding out the house’s
foundation into the backyard. The post-World War 2 period had many factors
favorable to expanding kitchens including new consumer appliances such as
dishwashers, a baby boom, and economic prosperity. The dining room was still
a separate room, but kitchens were beginning to evolve into the social
gathering places that they are today.
The Larchmont Kitchen received a face-lift during the
1980’s. The 80’s offered another period of prosperity and new technologies
such as microwave ovens.
It was Absolute’s task to bring this kitchen into the
21st Century technologically, functionally, and aesthetically. We
began by demolishing the existing kitchen down to the studs. We removed the
wall separating the kitchen from the dining room. This created the feeling
of a larger space with better flow for entertaining.
We stocked the kitchen with professional appliances,
granite countertops, natural stone floors and backsplashes. We paid close
attention to lighting for a multitude of tasks and moods. We designed
cabinet, workspace, and appliance layout to create a functional and fun
kitchen that will last well into the 21st Century.
Take a close look at the Larchmont Kitchen photos. Some
of the features you will see include:
- Dining room that is open to the kitchen and to a
deck through Andersen out-swinging French Doors
- Appliances and amenities including:
- GE Monogram, stainless steel, cabinet depth
refrigerator with bottom drawer freezer
- Fisher & Paykel Double DishDrawers in stainless
- Viking dual fuel range, 6-burner (from Simmer to
15,000 BTUs), in stainless steel
- Viking Designer Series Classic Chimney wall hood
- Elkay undermount sink, 10” deep
- Grohe Ladylux Café, single handle pull-out faucet
(pull-out convenience without the pull-out look)
- KitchenAid countertop microwave oven in stainless
- Pasquini Livia 90 espresso machine with Pasquini
Moka commercial espresso grinder
- Lighting design including:
- 4" Halo recessed ceiling lights
- Tech Lighting Wall MonoRail track light with three
Archie halogen fixtures
- Under-cabinet rope lights for countertop and
- Materials including:
- Natural maple cabinets finished with crown
- Granite countertops in Azul Blue Bahiano granite
- Honed marble 16” square floor tiles laid in a
diamond pattern with hand-cut accent tile work
- Mosaic backsplash in honed marble with fancy
- Other features including:
- Integrated desk space with desk drawer layout
- Counter-height eat-in area with counter-height
- Separate gas line to the deck for a 36” DCS
natural gas grill with rotisserie on a stainless steel cart (this
kitchen extends to the outdoors!)
PROJECT DESIGNER and/or
ARCHITECT: Sylvain Côté, Nancy Smith
PROJECT MANAGER: Sylvain Côté
AGE OF STRUCTURE: 1920's
STYLE OF HOUSE: Tudor
SQUARE FOOTAGE OF JOB: 260
STARTING DATE: March 2002
COMPLETION DATE: June 2002
AVERAGE PRICE RANGE ON SIMILAR PACKAGES*: $95,000 - $100,000CLIENTS
Sylvain and Absolute Remodeling Team:
We are very happy with the results of our remodeling projects with you.
Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We absolutely love our
master suite as it truly feels like a
European spa. Our guests consistently give the
guest bath rave reviews. Our
new kitchen is fabulous. Your design
ideas have made our house more livable, enjoyable, and perfect for
Everyone whose had a remodeling project is aware of the dust, debris and
disruption involved. We appreciate your efforts to keep our pain to
a minimum even though most of our house went through significant
The highest compliment that we can give you is to say that we would be
pleased to work with you again."
- Mr. & Ms. Dennis,
Larchmont, NY. 01/15/03.
*Price based on similar existing
conditions, building supplies, square footage and other various factors and therefore
subject to change.